Nevermore: The Imaginary Life and Mysterious Death of Edgar Allan Poe
Director/Choreographer – Jason Hair-Wynn
Music Director – Shawn Gelzleichter
Sunday, July 21 from 1:00PM to 4:00PM and 5:00PM to 8:00PM
Monday, July 22 from 6:30PM to 9:30PM
Tuesday, July 23 starting at 6:30PM (IF needed)
Please contact us if you have any questions about auditions.
Saugus American Legion, 44 Taylor Street, Saugus, MA
This will be the New England Premiere of Jonathan Christenson’s Nevermore. This unique and wildly theatrical musical combines haunting music and poetic storytelling to chronicle the fascinating life of iconic American writer Edgar Allan Poe. A literary rock star of his day, Poe struggles with tragedy and addiction, poverty and loss, yet produces some of the world’s most original, visionary and enduring literature before dying in unexplained circumstances at the age of 40. At once gorgeous and grotesque, Nevermore explores the events that shape Poe’s character and career, blurring the line between fact and fiction–after all, as Poe himself writes, “All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.”
This show has a Storybook-feel taking elements of Victorian melodrama, Brecht, and gothic drama.
For more details about the show and the production team, visit our show page.
Please prepare/bring the following:
- Two contrasting power-ballad music pieces (2 minutes maximum per song). Bring sheet music with you for your pieces. No a cappella please.
- One minute monologue, performance poetry piece or story. Please note that this material is specific storytelling, please select material with this in mind when auditioning.
- Anyone auditioning for the role of Edgar Allan Poe, prepare a dramatic reading of the first five stanzas of The Raven.
- A headshot – it does not need to be professional – a current printed photo is great.
- You can pre-print the Audition Packet from here and bring it with you to the audition.
- Sign-up for an audition time using the Sign-Up Genius link.
ALL ROLES ARE OPEN to performers of all ages, abilities, ethnicities, and gender identities. Seeking strong actors who sing and move well. Storytellers with vivid imagination and willingness to play. This is an ensemble piece; everyone is featured, and all but Poe play multiple roles. Comfort with verse is helpful, but not required.
The role of Poe is written for a male tenor voice.
Other roles are written for Baritenor, Baritone, Tenor, Soprano, and Alto voices.
Players may be doubled with an addition to a Greek chorus of players. Performers with unique abilities i.e. juggling, contortion etc. strongly encouraged.
PLEASE NOTE: Audition are by appointment and sign-ups are in 10 minute blocks. Please arrive in advance of your time slot in case we are running early. Using the Sign-Up Genius link above, click on the time slot you are interested in and complete the requested information.
More information about the show can be found at http://nevermoreshow.com/
Friday, October 18 at 8PM
Saturday, October 19 at 8PM
Sunday, October 20 at 2PM
Friday, October 25 at 8PM
Saturday, October 26at 8PM
Sunday, October 27 at 2PM
If you have questions about the auditions or would like to help out with the production, please contact us at TCSaugus@gmail.com or 781-816-7019.