Much Ado About Nothing
By William Shakespeare
Directed by Anna Percuoco
The Theatre Company of Saugus announces auditions for Much Ado About Nothing, the romantic-dramatic comedy by William Shakespeare. The director is Anna Lee Percuoco.
The performances will (hopefully) be in-person and outdoors. The performance dates are June 4-6 and June 11-13, 2021 in Saugus, Massachusetts. Performances could be extended to June 18-20, if there are too many rainouts earlier.
Rehearsals will begin the week of April 12, 2021. At first we will have all rehearsals take place on Zoom, with the hope that we will be able to be in-person in Saugus at some point in May. For more about our COVID safety plan, see our show page.
To audition, please prepare a video of a short monologue from any Shakespearian comedy. Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 7:00 PM on Wednesday, April 7, 2021. The deadline has been extended by one day.
Please also include with the email a theatrical resume and a headshot if you have those. We would also like to know: what roles you are interested in; if you play any musical instruments; and dates you cannot rehearse during April, May, and June. You can submit the audition form below as well as sending in your video, resume, and headshot.
If you cannot make and send in a video of yourself, you can attend an audition session via Zoom on Tuesday 6 April starting at 7:00 PM. Click here to sign up for an audition slot.
When it is almost time for your audition slot, click here to get into the waiting room of the Zoom session.
We will notify you about callbacks by Thursday morning, April 8. The callback auditions will take place on Zoom, on April 8, starting at 7:00 PM. Actors will read sides from the show during callbacks, and these will be provided beforehand.
Here is the link to the Callbacks session. Join just before the time you are called, to get into the Zoom waiting room.
Actors of any gender will be considered for all roles.
- Beatrice (18-30) – quick witted, independent, Hero’s cousin
- Benedick (18-30) – aristocrat, solider, under Don Pedro’s command, also very witty
- Claudio (18-30) – successful solider under Don Pedro’s command, falls in love with Hero
- Hero (18-30) – daughter of Leonato, cousin of Beatrice; gentle, kind, innocent
- Don Pedro (40+) – aristocratic solider (a “Prince”), politically and socially powerful, a good leader but a bit hotheaded
- Leonato (50+) – wealthy nobleman, father of Hero, uncle of Beatrice; governor of Messina
- Don John (50+) – illegitimate brother of Don Pedro, villain of the play
- Margaret (any age) – Hero’s servant; Borachio’s lover
- Borachio (any age) – Margaret’s lover; name means “drunkard” in Italian; deceives Claudio convincing him that Hero has been unfaithful to him (in cahoots with Don John)
- Conrad (any age) – servant of Don John; completely devoted to Don John & his evil plans
- Dogberry (any age) – well-meaning but bungling captain of the watch
- Verges (any age) – member of the watch, serves under Dogberry
- Balthasar (any age)** – servant in Leonato’s house, musician. If you’re interested in auditioning for the role of Balthasar, please also include a video of yourself singing something. You may accompany yourself or sing acapella.
- Ursula (any age) – Hero’s lady-in-waiting
PLEASE COMPLETE AND SUBMIT THE FORM BELOW: