The Theatre Company of Saugus held a series of free workshops this summer, entitled Understanding and Performing Shakespeare. We engaged several highly qualified presenters/instructors who lectured, demonstrated, and lead participatory exercises in the performance of Shakespeare, including speech, movement, and style. Sessions were planned for five Tuesday evenings during July and August. The schedule was as follows:
- Tuesday 6 July 2004: Shakespeare, a Man and His Times, a historical introduction, including the mechanics of the Globe Theatre. Presented by Nancy Lemoine, drama teacher at Saugus High School.
- Tuesday 13 July: Scene Study, Word and Action, interpreting Shakespeare for the contemporary audience. Presented by Laura Schrader, theater professor at U-Mass Boston.
- Tuesday 20 July: Speaking Shakespeare. Presented by John Conlon, emeritus professor of theater at U-Mass Boston.
- Tuesday 3 August 2004: Walk Like an Elizabethan, practicing the physical movement. Presented by Nancy Lemoine.
- Tuesday 10 August: Soliloquies in Performance. Presented by Nancy Lemoine.
The workshops were free and open to the public, and very successful. They were attended by 20-30 people at each session.