Each year EMACT (Eastern Massachusetts Association of Community Theatres) announces its nominations for DASH Awards (Distinguished Achievement and Special Honors). These are like the local Tonys, with awards in many categories. The nominations were announced via webcast on Thursday 11 July 2019. The awards will be presented at the annual EMACT DASH Gala, on Saturday 24 August 2019.
This year there were no nominations for any Theatre Company of Saugus (TCS) productions in the 2018-2019 season. There were many nominations of TCS members, however, who were involved in shows produced by other community theatre companies.
- Will Fafard was the winner of a Consultants’ Choice Award for Excellence in Statuary Movement for Mary Poppins at Marblehead Little Theatre. Will has been in many TCS shows.
- The Saugus High School drama teacher, Steve Black, was nominated for Best Director of a Musical for Mama Mia at Marblehead Little Theatre. That show, which had some TCS members in its cast, also had many other nominations including Best Musical.
- Steve Black was also nominated for Best Director of a Play for Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime at Marblehead. That play also had a TCS member in the cast, and earned several other nominations including Best Play.
- Dustin Teuber was nominated for Best Supporting Actor in a Play for Jesus Hopped the A Train presented by the Hovey Players. Dustin played the title role in the TCS presentation of Jack the Ripper: the Whitechapel Musical.
- Monica Bruno was nominated for Best Stage Manager in Jesus Hopped the A Train. That show was also nominated for several other awards, including Best Actor in a Play, Best Director of a Play, and Best Play. Monica has worked on many TCS shows.
- Jack Ferdman was nominated for Best Actor in a Musical for Chicago by Massasoit Theatre Company. Jack was in the TCS production of The Laramie Project.
- Samantha Brior-Jones was nominated for both Best Choreography and Best Director of a Musical for Chicago at Massasoit. That show was also nominated for several other awards, including Best Musical. Samantha was a choreographer for the TCS production of The Producers.
- Steve Bergman was nominated for Best Musical Director for Avenue Q at TCAN Players. Steve was the composer and co-musical director for the TCS production of Jack the Ripper.
Congratulations to all!
Every year the town of Saugus holds its annual street fair. Vendors, artists, games, food, entertainment. Theatre Company of Saugus will present performances from recent and upcoming shows at 1:30 PM. Saturday 8 September 2018. On Central Street in front of Town Hall.
The nominations for the 2018 annual DASH awards were announced on July 19. The Theatre Company of Saugus production of Spelling Bee was honored with seven nominations!
The Eastern Massachusetts Association of Community Theaters (EMACT) sent out consultants to review 132 shows in the 2017-2018 season. Ratings are made in many categories, and those with the six highest ratings get DASH (Distinguished Achievement and Special Honors) nominations. The winners in each category were announced at the annual EMACT DASH Gala, which was held on Saturday 25 August 2018, at Carey Hall in Lexington.
The TCS production of The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee earned these nominations:
- Best Set Design for a Musical – Nicholas Raponi
- Best Set Dressing for a Musical – Amanda Allen, Bobby Imperato, Nicholas Raponi, Jamie Trevino
- Best Props Design for a Musical – Amanda Allen, Damien LaCount, Bobby Imperato, Jamie Trevino
- Best Supporting Actor in a Musical – Nicholas Raponi
- Best Choreography of a Musical – Kristin McGregor
- Best Ensemble of a Musical
- Best Production of a Musical
The cast of Spelling Bee, nominated for Best Ensemble, included: Suzanne Mills, Nicholas Raponi, Lauren Amaru, Tessa Berliner, David Picariello, Amanda Raponi, Daria Contino, Daniel Ehrenpreis, and Sean Perry. The director was Bobby Imperato, and the stage manager was Jamie Trevino (now Jamie Imperato). The musical director was Benjamin Tan. Since we were nominated for Best Production of a Musical, the cast performed a number from the show at the Gala!
In addition, some other TCS members were nominated for their work with other theater companies. And a few of them won! Congratulations to all!
- Best Sound Design of a Play – Nicholas Meunier – Fahrenheit 451 – Cannon Theater
- Best Lead Actor in a Musical – Richie DeJesus – In the Heights – Nashoba Players
- Best Lead Actress in a Musical – Tristyn Sepersky – Heathers – Footlight Club. Tristyn won this award!
- Best Choreography of a Musical – Samantha Brior-Jones – Heathers – Massasoit Theater Company. Samantha was a co-winner of this award.
- Best Musical Direction – James Murphy – Parade – The Umbrella. James was a co-winner of this award.
Click here for a complete list of the nominees and winners.
Our February 2018 production is the popular romantic comedy/drama Almost, Maine. Its about a small town in Maine where everyone knows each other.
It truly is a small world. The playwright of Almost, Maine is John Cariani. He is a friend and colleague of Jay Gould, who he has worked with as an actor in New York and on films. Jay Gould is from Saugus, Massachusetts. He was in the Theatre Company of Saugus when he was younger, and is a 1999 graduate of Saugus High School.
John Cariani has sent our cast written and video greetings. And he has provided us with a signed copy of the script of the show.
We are holding a raffle, to be drawn during intermission at the last performance. The first prize is the signed copy of the script of Almost, Maine, plus a show poster signed by the cast. The second prize is a signed poster.
Raffle tickets are $5 each. Or you can get five tickets for only $20. You can purchase raffle tickets at the show, or in advance from cast members, with cash or check. You can also buy raffle tickets online with a credit card, by going to the Tickets page, and clicking on the link to purchase tickets.
We have several work sessions coming up for which we could use your help.
- Saturday 3 February 2018, 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM. We will continue the cleaning and reorganization of our costumes and props storage room. At Central Storage / 222 Central Street / Saugus, MA 01906. In the upstairs room #372. We will also sort through our scenery in our downstairs room #109, getting stuff ready for the Almost, Maine load-in.
- Monday 5 February 2018, 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM. Load-In and Set Assembly for Almost, Maine. We will transport set pieces from Central Storage to the American Legion / 44 Taylor Street / Saugus. Then we will assemble the set platforms and flats. Your help is especially needed if you have a truck or van or a car with a roof rack. Bring construction tools.
- Tuesday 6 February and Friday 9 February, 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM. Continue work on set construction, set painting, and hanging the lights. At the American Legion.
If you would like to volunteer, or have questions, contact us at TCSaugus@gmail.com or 781-816-7019. Thank you!
Theatre Company of Saugus is excited to announce auditions for our spring production.
- The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. A comic musical. Auditions January 7, 9, 10, 2018. Performances in April-May 2018.
For detailed information, see our Auditions page.
We recently completed auditions for Almost, Maine. A comic drama, with performances in February 2018.
Tickets are now on sale for our holiday season 2017 show: A Charlie Brown Christmas, based on the Peanuts television special by Charles Schultz. The program also includes a short readers theatre version of A Christmas Carol, based on the classic novel by Charles Dickens.
Remaining performances are Saturday 9 December at 7:30 PM, and Sunday 10 December 2017 at 2:00 PM. At this time we do not plan to cancel the show because of snow, but watch this space for any further developments.
Performances are December 2, 3, 8, 9, 10, 2017. At the Saugus American Legion Post.
See our Charlie Brown page for more info about the show.
See our Tickets page to purchase or reserve seats.
See our Directions page for how to get to the venue.
Click here to download the flyer.
The cast of A Charlie Brown Christmas. Left to right standing: Kyle Bernard as Charlie Brown, Rylan Workman as Pig Pen, Caitlyn Muldoon as Frieda, Paige McNeill as Snoopy, Rhianon Brown as Woodstock, Gianna Ferace as Violet, Tyler Desmond as Shermy. Left to right kneeling: Grace Antonelli as Lucy, Dillon Bresnahan as Schroeder, Kate Pepitas as Sally, Brooks Workman as Linus.