Theatre Company of Saugus prides itself on being a safe space and being intolerant of hate/bullying of any kind. We consider ourselves a theater family and a great place for people of all ages and backgrounds to explore the arts and in turn, themselves. We strive to be inclusive and support all citizens, patrons, and artists in our community and the surrounding area. As we all try to wrap our heads around the year that is 2020 – TCS needs to look at itself and ask, are we doing all we can do to be inclusive and supportive? And, we need people to tell us when we are not (especially if we think we are). No one will take on the mantle of change if they don’t know they need to do it.
While theatres are all trying to deal with the ramifications of COVID-19 and how it is impacting the end of this past season and the start of the next, we also need to be thinking about the black members of our communities who are suffering (and have been suffering) in innumerable ways. The senseless murder of George Floyd has set off a chain reaction throughout the entire country and the world. There must be change that happens, but many times, people don’t know how to start the process.
There are numerous ways to help individuals and work towards change.Support black-owned businesses in the Boston area.
- Restaurant List
- Companies List – BostonBlackBiz.com OR ShoppeBlack.com
How else can you help?
- Visit Black Lives Matter Boston to support local efforts or find out about the variety of ways you can help.
- Support Bail Funds for arrested demonstrators – Locally in the Boston Area or here’s a List of 30 cities in the US
- Educate yourself – here’s a Starter Guide of TV shows, movies, documentaries, and books that cover decades of information.
And, because we are a community theater, black playwrights to be aware of:
- 10 Major African-American Playwrights to Know from Playbill.com from 1998
- 10 Contemporary Black Playwrights to Know from ArtsBoston
- ABC List of Playwrights and Authors from the National Speech and Debate Association
Let people you know that you are ready to listen to anyone who is angry and frustrated and working towards change. Sometimes people need to know they can share and you will be there to listen. Sharing that you are an ally is a very important message to spread to those in your life. TCS has always tried to be an ally and to be inclusive. We hope this is now apparent to all our members, volunteers, patrons, and supporters.
Let us know how you think we can do better. Email us at email@example.com.
#BlackLivesMatter #BLM #SayTheirNames
Thank you for joining us to make our community a better place!
Theatre Company of Saugus, Board of Directors
Amanda Allen, President
Larry Segel, Vice President
Alicia Murphy, Treasurer
Jeffrey Bliss, Recording Secretary
Deirdre A. L. Shaw, Corresponding Secretary
Matthew Garlin, Member-At-Large
Mike Giusti, Member-At-Large
Allison Perry, Member-At-Large
Sean Perry, Member-At-Large