Each year EMACT (Eastern Massachusetts Association of Community Theatres) announces its nominations for DASH Awards (Distinguished Achievement and Special Honors). These are like the local Tonys, with awards in many categories. The nominations were announced via webcast on Thursday 11 July 2019. The awards will be presented at the annual EMACT DASH Gala, on Saturday 24 August 2019.
This year there were no nominations for any Theatre Company of Saugus (TCS) productions in the 2018-2019 season. There were many nominations of TCS members, however, who were involved in shows produced by other community theatre companies.
- Will Fafard was the winner of a Consultants’ Choice Award for Excellence in Statuary Movement for Mary Poppins at Marblehead Little Theatre. Will has been in many TCS shows.
- The Saugus High School drama teacher, Steve Black, was nominated for Best Director of a Musical for Mama Mia at Marblehead Little Theatre. That show, which had some TCS members in its cast, also had many other nominations including Best Musical.
- Steve Black was also nominated for Best Director of a Play for Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime at Marblehead. That play also had a TCS member in the cast, and earned several other nominations including Best Play.
- Dustin Teuber was nominated for Best Supporting Actor in a Play for Jesus Hopped the A Train presented by the Hovey Players. Dustin played the title role in the TCS presentation of Jack the Ripper: the Whitechapel Musical.
- Monica Bruno was nominated for Best Stage Manager in Jesus Hopped the A Train. That show was also nominated for several other awards, including Best Actor in a Play, Best Director of a Play, and Best Play. Monica has worked on many TCS shows.
- Jack Ferdman was nominated for Best Actor in a Musical for Chicago by Massasoit Theatre Company. Jack was in the TCS production of The Laramie Project.
- Samantha Brior-Jones was nominated for both Best Choreography and Best Director of a Musical for Chicago at Massasoit. That show was also nominated for several other awards, including Best Musical. Samantha was a choreographer for the TCS production of The Producers.
- Steve Bergman was nominated for Best Musical Director for Avenue Q at TCAN Players. Steve was the composer and co-musical director for the TCS production of Jack the Ripper.
Congratulations to all!