Theatre Company of Saugus (TCS) is a member of the Eastern Massachusetts Association of Community Theatres (EMACT). EMACT runs the DASH program (Distinguished Award and Special Honors) that evaluates many of the shows done by its member groups. Many aspects of each show and the performers are rated, and those with the best ratings are Nominated for DASH Awards. The nominations for the 2015-2016 season were announced on a webcast on Wednesday 20 July 2016.
The award winners were revealed at the annual DASH Gala, which is very much like the Tony Awards, but local. This year the DASH Gala was on Saturday 27 August 2016.
TCS had a nomination for one of its productions in the 2015-2016 season:
- Evelyn Holley for Best Lead Actress in a Play for The Laramie Project
There are many other TCS members who were nominated for their work with other companies. Many of these are for the Winthrop Playmakers production of The Shadow Box, which was also nominated for Best Ensemble in a Play, and for Best Play: The show was the winner of the award for Best Ensemble in Play.
- Nicholas Raponi for Best Director of a Play. He was the winner of this award. Nick was in the TCS production of The Producers, and will appear in our next show Heathers the Musical.
- Lauren Amaru for Best Makeup and Hair Design for a Play
- Anthony Turilli for Best Youth Actor in a Play
- Brian Dion for Best Supporting Actor in a Play
- Nicholas Raponi for Best Set Design for a Play
For other productions, TCS members earned these nominations:
- Amanda Allen for Best Makeup and Hair Design for a Play for The Man Who Came to Dinner at Spotlight Playhouse
- Shawn Gelzleichter for Best Musical Director for The Rocky Horror Show at The Footlight Club
- Kai Chao for Best Choreography for The Great American Trailer Park Musical at The Burlington Players
- Gabriel Clark for Best Youth Actor in a Musical for Seussical at Wakefield Repertory Youth Theatre
- Lauren Amaru for Best Specialty Ensemble in a Musical as one of the Strippers in the Winthrop Playmakers production of Gypsy.
Anthony Turilli was nominated for the same award last year, for the TCS production of Charlotte’s Web.
The complete set of nominations and winners is here. Congratulations to all the nominees.