EMACT (Eastern Massachusetts Association of Community Theatres) annually gives DASH awards for distinguished achievements, for shows that have been evaluated by their consultant reviewers. This year the awards were announced at a virtual Gala presentation on August 22, 2020. Instead of the usual format of six nominees and one winner, because of the pandemic-shortened season, this year they announced a varying number of Outstanding Achievement Awards in each category, for shows or individuals with the highest scores.
The Theatre Company of Saugus’ production of Nevermore: The Imaginary Life and Mysterious Death of Edgar Allan Poe, presented in October & November 2019, was the recipient of Outstanding Achievement Awards for a Musical in almost every possible category.
- Best Musical
- Direction – Jason Hair-Wynn
- Musical Direction – Shawn Gelzleichter
- Choreography – Jason Hair-Wynn
- Ensemble Cast
- Actor – Benjamin Finn
- Supporting Actress – Christine Dickinson
- Supporting Actress – Caroline Fonseca
- Props – Amanda Allen, Jason Hair-Wynn, Damien LaCount, Deirdre A. L. Shaw
- Hair & Makeup Design – Amanda Allen, Jason Hair-Wynn, William Fafard, Jr.
- Costume Design – Amanda Allen & Jason Hair-Wynn
- Lighting Design – Matthew Garlin & Jason Hair-Wynn
- Sound Design – James Wlodyka, Mel Ingalls, Jason Hair-Wynn
- Set Design – Nicholas Raponi & Jason Hair-Wynn
- Set Dressing – Nicholas Raponi & Jason Hair-Wynn
The TCS production of James and the Giant Peach, presented in February 2020, was the recipient of two DASH awards.
- Outstanding Achievement – Youth Actor in a Play – Brooks Workman
- Consultant’s Choice Award – Excellence in Original Music – Greg Borodulin
Several TCS members were recognized for work done with other theatre groups:
- Consultants Choice Award, for Set Construction – Lou Schoenthal for Young Frankenstein at Marblehead Little Theatre
- Stage Management for a Musical – Jenn Ryan Gelzleichter for Carrie: The Musical at Arts After Hours
- Direction of a Musical – Samantha Brior-Jones & Nathan Fogg-DeSisto for Beauty & the Beast at Massasoit Theatre Company
- Choreography – Samantha Brior-Jones for Beauty & the Beast at Massasoit
- Stage Management for a Musical – Nathan Fogg-DeSisto for Beauty & the Beast at Massasoit Theatre Company
- Supporting Actor in a Musical – Bobby Imperato for Beauty & the Beast at Massasoit Theatre Company
- Set Design for a Musical – Nathan Fogg-DeSisto for Beauty & the Beast at Massasoit Theatre Company
- Set Dressing for a Musical – Nathan Fogg-DeSisto for Beauty & the Beast at Massasoit Theatre Company
- Hair & Makeup Design for a Musical – Becky Jo Roland for The Addams Family at Arlington Friends of Drama
- Hair & Makeup Design for a Musical – Kathleen Tringale & Ursina Amsler for Into the Woods at Stage 284
Congratulations to all our winners! And thank you to the EMACT team for all the recognition!