Join the Theatre Company of Saugus having Burgers for Benefits!
At Fuddruckers, home of the World’s Greatest Hamburgers.
Dine out for a Good Cause. Fuddruckers will donate 20% of your total meal price to TCS.
This donation is earmarked to support our production of Lost in Yonkers, which you will have seen performed on the previous two weekends. Come to the fundraiser and tell us how great our show was!
On Tuesday 28 February 2017, from 5:00 PM until 8:00 PM.
At Fuddruckers / 900 Broadway Route 1 / Saugus, MA 01906. On Route 1 Northbound, north of Main Street, just beyond Kowloon.
You must download and print this flyer and present it to the cashier when you place your order in order for us to get the 20% donation.
New members were elected to the board of directors at our annual general membership meeting on 11 December 2016. New officers were elected at our board meeting on 27 December 2016. To see the new lineup of officers and board members for 2017, please see our Board Members page. We thank the retiring members of the board for their years of service.
TCS has a number of standing committees that provide the vital service of helping to run the organization. Each committee has at least three members who are on the board of directors, and at least three who are general members. The chair person can be be either, but is often a board member. Committee meetings are held as needed, usually monthly. If you would like to serve on any of the committees, please contact any board member, or send us a message at TCSaugus@gmail.com.
Here is a list of the standing committees. Some of these may be combined, and new committees may be created, as the need arises.
- Finance. Researches and proposes changes to company finances, assisting and overseeing the treasurer.
- Play Reading / Production Scheduling. Researches and reads plays, proposes the plan for the next season (2018-2019).
- Nominating. Creates the slate of candidates for the next board election in November 2017.
- Membership. Maintains the membership list, promotes membership renewal and new memberships. Recommends membership policies.
- Activities. Plans activities for general meetings, workshops, and other company events, other than shows.
- Parliamentary / By-Laws. Ensures that the company is running by its rules and recommends any changes to the by-laws.
- Librarian / Archivist. Organizes records and materials and provides when needed.
- Publicity. Creates and distributes advertisements and news releases, social media announcements, and the website to keep the public informed about shows and events.
- Newsletter. Writes and edits the email newsletter and website posts to keep the membership informed about company shows and events.
- Scholarship. Evaluates the scholarship applications from Saugus High School students and recommends a recipient. Recommends policies about scholarships.
- Fundraising / Community Outreach. Solicits sponsorships, plans and executes fundraising events. Organizes TCS participation with other groups.
- Facilities Management / Building Acquisition. Supervises our relationship with the landlords of our rented rehearsal, performance, and storage locations. Researches alternate housing options.
At our Annual General Membership Meeting on 11 December 2016, we approved the plan for the shows that we will present for the next season in 2017-2018. Now we need to find directors, choreographers, and musical directors for these shows.
- We intend to bring a show to the EMACT Festival in June 2017. Probably with a prior public performance in Saugus. We are working on the musical version of 13 Things about Ed Carpolatti. (We have a director and musical director.)
- The next in our series of Youth Theatre Workshops, in July 2017. A junior musical show, to be determined. (We probably have the staff for this.)
- The Halloween 2017 season show. This was going to be Bat Boy, the popular musical about a family that adopts a bat boy, by the same authors as Heathers. But another nearby group is doing this show, so we need to find another, preferably a musical. We are in need of a Director and a Choreographer. We may already have a musical director. (The alternate, if we decide to do a play rather than a musical, would be The Woman in Black, a mystery thriller play.)
- The holiday season 2017 show. This will be A Charlie Brown Christmas, a one-act musical with a cast of children. This might be paired with a one-act play The Gift of the Magi, with two adults. We are in need of Directors, a Choreographer, and a Musical Director. (The alternate would be The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, a one-act play with children and adults.)
- The winter season show, in early 2018. The play Almost, Maine. A popular comedy about characters in love in the neighboring stage of Maine. We are in need of a Director. (The alternate, if we need a second musical in the season, would be The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.)
- Another Nunsense show in spring 2018, continuing the series. Nunsense Jamboree features the funny nuns and country music. We are in need of a Musical Director and a Choreographer. We probably have a director.
We are also at present still in need of a Choreographer for this season’s production of Nunsense 2 in spring 2017. Honorariums are given for the artistic staff positions.
And of course we will need supporting staff for all of these shows: producers, stage managers, set builders, and designers for sets, costumes, lighting, props, etc.
If you are interested in any of these positions, please contact us at TCSaugus@gmail.com. Please attach a theatre resume, and a letter indicating which jobs and shows you are interested in. We will arrange for an interview with our board of directors. Thank you!
TCS mourns the passing of Stephen R. Walsh, age 83, from Swampscott, on November 30, 2016. Steve played the role of Boris Semyonov-Pishchik in our 2009 production of The Cherry Orchard. He played the lead role of Sganarelle in The Forced Marriage, one of the two short one-act plays in our 2007 production From Moliere with Love. Steve was also in productions with the Winthrop Playmakers, Marblehead Little Theatre, and other local community theatres.
Click here for information about the funeral arrangements.
You are welcome to attend the Town of Saugus Annual Tree Lighting and Festivities. On Friday 2 December 2016, from 5:00 PM until 8:00 PM. At the Saugus Town Hall, on Central Street at the corner of Hamilton Street, adjacent to the monument in Saugus Center.
Many fun filled activities for the whole family! All activities free for Saugus residents.
- Preview performance of In / Out – A Mis-Cast Cabaret by Theatre Company of Saugus
- Gingerbread House Decorating Contest (must have pre-registered)
- Story Time (sponsored by the Library)
- Meet and Greet with Santa. Goodie Bags.
- Hot Chocolate and Cookies
- Petting Zoo
- Train Rides (weather permitting)
- Moon Bounce (weather permitting)
- Face Painting
- Hay Rides
Share the Joy! Donate a new unwrapped toy!
The Theatre Company of Saugus will present the next show in the Nunsense series of musical comedies about funny nuns, Nunsense 2, The Second Coming, the large cast version.
We have changed the performance dates to the third and fourth weekends in June 2017. June 16-17-18 and 23-24-25.
We have added an additional audition date, Wednesday 8 March 2017, starting at 7:00 PM.
For complete information, please see our Auditions page.
(We believe there will be fewer conflicts for actors and audience than our previously planned performance dates, May 12-13-14 and 19-20-21, 2017.)
All previous cast members of our previous Nunsense shows are invited back to reprise their roles in Nunsense 2, as the script requires.
We are also seeking a Choreographer for this production. To apply for the position, please contact the Theatre Company of Saugus by sending a message to TCSaugus@gmail.com. Include all your contact information, a theatrical resume, and a statement explaining your interest in the project. We will contact you to schedule an interview with the board of directors.
We will hold our holiday season party on Sunday 11 December 2016, starting at 7:0o PM. This is a potluck dinner affair. Bring something to share, either a main dish, a side dish, a dessert, or drinks.
We will also hold our Annual General Membership Meeting. This will be brief, but there are two important items on our agenda that require the review and approval of the membership:
- We will hold our Election for members of the Board of Directors.
- We will discuss and approve the plan for shows in the Next Season, 2017-2018.
The Board of Directors has nine members, with three members elected each year to staggered three-year terms. The people with terms expiring at the end of 2016 are Mary Moffett, Jessica Stockton, and Stacey Wilson. Many thanks to them for their service!
We have nominated one continuing member and two others to fill the open slots:
- Mary Moffett is eligible to serve another term, and is interested in doing so. Mary has served on the board a number of times, and has worked with us for many years behind the scenes and on stage.
- Wes Toma-Lee. Wes has been a very organized stage manager for several of our productions in the past few years.
- Damien LaCount. Damien has been an energetic cast member on stage in two of our shows this year.
Here is our thinking about the shows for the next season. This plan may still be refined or modified by the board of directors before the general meeting. We expect to do four shows, as usual, in addition to our summer youth theatre workshop.
- A Halloween 2017 season show. Our recommendation is Bat Boy, the popular musical about a family that adopts a bat boy, by the same authors as Heathers. The alternate, in case we cannot get the rights, would be The Woman in Black, a mystery thriller play.
- A holiday season 2017 show. Our recommendation is A Charlie Brown Christmas, a one-act musical with a cast of children. This might be paired with a one-act play The Gift of the Magi, with two adults. The alternate would be The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, a one-act play with children and adults.
- A winter season show, in early 2018. We recommend the play Almost, Maine. A popular comedy. The alternate, if we need a second musical in the season, would be The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.
- Another Nunsense show in spring 2018, continuing the series. Probably Nunsense Jamboree.