The nominations for the 2018 annual DASH awards were announced on July 19. The Theatre Company of Saugus production of Spelling Bee was honored with seven nominations!
The Eastern Massachusetts Association of Community Theaters (EMACT) sent out consultants to review 132 shows in the 2017-2018 season. Ratings are made in many categories, and those with the six highest ratings get DASH (Distinguished Achievement and Special Honors) nominations. The winners in each category were announced at the annual EMACT DASH Gala, which was held on Saturday 25 August 2018, at Carey Hall in Lexington.
The TCS production of The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee earned these nominations:
- Best Set Design for a Musical – Nicholas Raponi
- Best Set Dressing for a Musical – Amanda Allen, Bobby Imperato, Nicholas Raponi, Jamie Trevino
- Best Props Design for a Musical – Amanda Allen, Damien LaCount, Bobby Imperato, Jamie Trevino
- Best Supporting Actor in a Musical – Nicholas Raponi
- Best Choreography of a Musical – Kristin McGregor
- Best Ensemble of a Musical
- Best Production of a Musical
The cast of Spelling Bee, nominated for Best Ensemble, included: Suzanne Mills, Nicholas Raponi, Lauren Amaru, Tessa Berliner, David Picariello, Amanda Raponi, Daria Contino, Daniel Ehrenpreis, and Sean Perry. The director was Bobby Imperato, and the stage manager was Jamie Trevino (now Jamie Imperato). The musical director was Benjamin Tan. Since we were nominated for Best Production of a Musical, the cast performed a number from the show at the Gala!
In addition, some other TCS members were nominated for their work with other theater companies. And a few of them won! Congratulations to all!
- Best Sound Design of a Play – Nicholas Meunier – Fahrenheit 451 – Cannon Theater
- Best Lead Actor in a Musical – Richie DeJesus – In the Heights – Nashoba Players
- Best Lead Actress in a Musical – Tristyn Sepersky – Heathers – Footlight Club. Tristyn won this award!
- Best Choreography of a Musical – Samantha Brior-Jones – Heathers – Massasoit Theater Company. Samantha was a co-winner of this award.
- Best Musical Direction – James Murphy – Parade – The Umbrella. James was a co-winner of this award.
Click here for a complete list of the nominees and winners.